Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Spanish Tortillas

One of the things I've enjoyed about living in different countries, is learning to make their food. I enjoyed learning how to make sushi and yaki soba while we were in Japan. And now that we are here in Spain, I plan on learning a couple of their traditional dishes as well.  Luckily I have a good friend that will suffer through my spanish and spend time teaching me.

This last week Beatriz came over and showed me how to make a Spanish Tortilla.  Tortillas in Spain are nothing like the regular flour or corn tortillas from latin America.  They don't even use those at all.  Their tortillas are chopped potatoes, onions, and eggs.  Cooked in A LOT of oil.  Definitely not a dish I will make on a regular basis. I love them but now that I've seen how to cook them, probably not too often.  My heart hurt just watching the oil get poured in.  Anyway, it was a lot of fun and they are really good.

Beatriz said that if you stick your tongue out while you're cutting up onions, you won't cry. She said that the strong fume of the onion likes humidity so if you stick your tongue out, it goes there and not to your eyes.  Weird, I know, but I tried it and I didn't cry.  Anyway, here is our Spanish tortilla.





4 comments:

  1. It's really not fair how beautiful you are. I'm just saying...

    When you finally return to the states, you'll have to do a multi-cultural food night and invite me to be the taster. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those things too. They made them in Uruguay. You are darling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good but I'm with you about all of that oil. Yikes!! I guess if you eat in moderation it is OK once in a while. Maybe when you are here we can do one of our Sunday dinners an international pot luck and you can make one of those. What do you think? Tell Beatrice hello from me!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tortilla de Patata is my FAV!!!!! I cook my potatoes in a little olive oil (like 1-2 tsp), but spray the pan first with PAM so they won't stick. That way it isnt as bad! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment: