Friday, November 20, 2009

They Speak Spanish in Spain

Of course we haven't kept up on the blog over the last while. We still have lofty goals of doing so, but just haven't found the time. We're not sure anyone reads it anyway so it may not matter. But I have a second right now so I figured I would give a glimpse into our Spain experience.

This is Nick speaking. Anyone who knows me knows that I have always enjoyed Spanish and was of course excited for the opportunity to come to Spain and immerse ourselves in the language and culture. We've done our best so far. We live off base, enjoy Spanish food, shop at the Gypsy Market, eat olives, and I even drive a Spanish vehicle. This immersion comes with it's challenges of course, but we are feeling more and more comfortable by the day.

The language is usually the limiting factor for most of the non-Spanish here. Most make a valiant effort to learn so they can more fully enjoy their experience. We have been fortunate in that regard. We also attend a Spanish-speaking branch and have the kids in Spanish public school. With all of the effort to immerse ourselves I wondered when I would start seeing some sort of effect on the boys. School was eye opening at first. Caden quickly assimilated but Max and Jake were a little slower. They now seem very content. Parent teacher conferences have been positive and any language barrier that may have existed at first appears to have vanished and is no longer the limiting factor there.

I have had a couple of "ah-ha" moments over the last couple of months as I have seen the boys meld into their new culture. I was thinking about these experiences today and decided I would share them so they wouldn't be forgotten.

The first of these "culminating" moments was when I was in primary listening to Max give a talk on families. He gave the talk first in Spanish and then repeated it in English. I noticed he read better in Spanish than English. Reality check. The following week Caden did the same thing. I realized I was living an experience I had never thought I would.

We started noticing that as the kids speak English they have developed a funny accent. They often phrase and emphasize sentences in English as if they were speaking Spanish.

Caden is in 4th grade. Spanish school is widely accepted here to be a little more intense than English schools. I realized how real their immersion is when I sat down with him to study geology... in Spanish. As we reviewed the make up of the earth's crusts, I was amazed at his ability to recite definitions word for word from his textbook. Photosynthesis and plant reproduction produced the same sense of amazement. He scored a 19.75 out of 20 on his test.

We have started making friends with other Spanish families that live near by. You almost feel embarrassed by your ignorance when you suddenly realize that despite all the differences, most of us are exactly the same. As I walked next to Caden and Alejandro and listened to their random conversation I was amazed at how natural their conversation was first due to Caden's ever-improved Spanish, but also due to the universal language of kids- laughing. While some words may have been lost in translation, I doubt any real meaning was. These two have become the best of friends.

Rebecca has even found herself using her Spanish on a daily basis. She surprises herself regularly with her extensive knowledge and finds that she is more anxious than she thought she would be to learn more.

Jake attends preschool at the same public school as his brothers. At 4 yrs old he spends 5 hrs at school each day. At dinner last night he told me that they are studying "otoño" (fall) and that they will be going to the park the following day to collect "ojas" (leaves) and "castañas". This was a new word for me as it should be since I have never been exposed to the word "chessnut" in my Spanish adventures. I think he was a little disgusted that I didn't know what it was- he made this clear as he explained (in Spanish) that this was a fall fruit.

Today was the kicker, and what sparked this post. We were discussing that he needed to take peanuts to school tomorrow (another fall fruit). During our conversation he repeatedly called them "cacahuetes". Finally, to save him the embarrassment, I corrected him and told him that it was "cacahuates". He proceeded to tell me that it could be said both ways. I told him he was wrong and that the dispute would be put to rest by the online dictionary. Turns out that in Spain it is said cacahuetes and in other Spanish-speaking countries it is said cacahuates. This was a proud moment for him. However he handled it well, not rubbing it in my face and waiting until I had left the room before he told his mom that he knows more Spanish than Dad does and later claiming to have taught himself Spanish.

Sorry for the journal entry. If you have read this far then we know you are a true friend (or a family member who knows that any of the preceding stories could be referenced in conversation so you'd better be up to speed). If you're still awake leave a comment.

Pictures are to come.

7 comments:

  1. We'll see if you actually post pictures. For the record, when you use google reader it automatically tells us when someone has posted a new post to their blog, so we read every new post you guys "post". And...oh...by the way...the SUNS have best record in the West...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blasted google reader. The comments are the funnest part. We get a bunch of emails from people that have read it, but they aren't as fun as the comments.

    Unless "Thunder Dan" and "Sir Charles" come back, leading the west after 10 games in the season might be as good as it gets for the Suns! Just kidding, better them than the Lakers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is joy. i love your language stories. your example has helped scott to be more vigilant. it is so fun to hear ollie speak in spanglish now. we just how to figure out how to get calvin on board!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you found a litle time to post on your blog - i can't even imagine how busy you and your littel family are. It's great to hear you're all doing so well.

    Tell Rebecca i was asking for her. How are the twins? Love to all!!

    Claire, Claire, Claire.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading all your posts Nick and Rebecca.
    You have inspired us to be brave about taking our family overseas.
    A position in Russia recently opened and my husband expressed interest. They said he doesn't have quite enough experience, however he is the only one interested, so we shall see.
    Thanks for your post and your example.
    Marla (Barton)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nick!

    This is Randy, your true friend. We do read your blog and love it, so keep posting. Great to hear about the Spanish experiences. Looks like your diligencia is paying off! I always thought Jake spoke better Spanish than you anyways, so that story comes as no surprise.

    We are all headed to Oura Wan for Thanksgiving and we will be thinking of you. We want to try and webcam you while we are all together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is Rachel Broom, another true friend! I was so excited to see a new post and loved reading about not only the kids' experiences but yours as you all learn a new language. We are so happy for you all! Keep the posts coming!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment: